STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program)
Google's STEP internship — for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science
STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program), formerly known as Engineering Practicum, is a 12-week internship for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science. The internship program has a focus of providing development opportunities to students from groups historically underrepresented in tech, through technical training and professional development.
Our unique internship offers the opportunity to work on a software project alongside other STEP interns and full-time Googlers, and provides the chance to bridge the gap between academic understanding and practical professional experience.
What you can expect from your STEP internship:
- Complete a challenging technical project where you will build solutions and gain exposure to immense scale and complexity.
- Attend technical talks by Googlers, gain insight into technical interview preparation, learn about Google’s coding practices and technologies, and develop other skills that will set you up for success.
- Receive coaching and mentorship from Google engineers to guide you through your summer experience.
- Build personal networks and friendships with a diverse group of students who share your passion for technology.
- First or second-year Bachelor's student majoring in Computer Science or a related field.
- First year students have taken one college computer science courses (AP or IB included). Second-year students should have taken two.
- Currently attending a university in North America.
- Returning to a Bachelor's degree program with at least two years remaining in their academic program after completion of the Summer 2021 internship.
- Ability to complete a full-time, 12-week internship between May and August or June and September 2021 (exact program dates will be provided at a later point in the process).
You may also like
Google Sandbox is a program series designed for industry professionals to explore career opportunities while gaining deeper insight into Google's technology, business, and culture. Sandbox provides a platform to continue professional development, share best practices, and build new relationships with fellow professionals.
Google in Residence
The GIR program aims to support greater diversity in tech. In partnership with computer science departments at HBCUs and HSIs, Google software engineers teach introductory CS classes and provide any support needed to prepare students for success.
Google’s IWD Event Series
Google’s IWD Event Series is a collection of summits that recognize Women in technology through speakers, workshops, and the opportunity to connect with fellow industry professionals. Our goal is to empower Women in tech by creating affirming and uplifting spaces. Learn more and apply today!