Description of program
This contest grants an award to the best master thesis written in English in the field of Copyright Law. Applicants from underrepresented groups (race/ethnic minority groups in countries where that group is minoritized or non-dominant; women; people with disabilities; LGBTQIA2S+) are especially encouraged to apply. The thesis must have been submitted to an institution of higher education in 2022, in the framework of a Master’s degree program. The deadline for submission is January 31, 2023.
- The thesis must have been submitted to, and accepted by, an institution of higher education in 2022, in the framework of a Master’s degree program.
- Law students enrolled in a JD program in the United States are eligible for this contest, provided they submit a research paper of publishable quality that was submitted for course credit and are nominated by the professor of that course.
- The thesis must be on copyright law and written in English.
- The work must be the applicant’s own original work.
- The work cannot have been submitted to other competitions for prizes or awards.
- Submissions must include, in addition of the thesis, the following:
- Name, telephone number, address, valid email address
- Name of the Master’s or JD's program, (planned) graduation date and title of the thesis
- Official proof of acceptance of the thesis by the institution of higher education (in case of students in a JD program, the paper should be submitted for credit in the course of a JD program, and the nomination by the course instructor will suffice)
- An executive summary of the thesis (max. 1000 words)
- A personal statement on why diversity and inclusion issues matter to you (max. 500 words)
- An essay on the intersection of copyright and diversity (max. 700 words)
- Timeliness of the topic
- Legal relevance and level of profundity/extent of research done
- Novelty of the approach to, or of the insights into, the subject
- Use of language and writing skills
The award consists of a sum of USD 5000 (gross). The winner will be announced publicly in June 2023.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.